Expand your toolbox of musical options with this guided tour of how scales, chords, rhythms, and meters work together
- Melodic Steps and Basic Intervals
- Foundations of Meter: Primary Pulse, its groupings, and its subdivisions
- Basics of Scales: Tone Centers and Scale Degrees
- Stressed Beats and Basic Syncopation
- Major and Minor Triads
- The effect of Tempo on Meter
- Basics of Functional Harmony
To sing and make music—unless it has been actively discouraged—comes naturally to most people. In the process of learning to sing along with the radio (or with friends and family during holidays and celebrations) you’ve formed an intuitive sense for how music works. Expand your intuitive understanding of the basic building blocks of music with just a bit of vocabulary that describes things you may already know, and points toward new knowledge. This course uses a sounds-first. ear-training approach to understanding music, without relying on written sheet music, and is ideal for people who want to learn more about music but “don’t like Music Theory.” Learn to find new notes to sing in a harmony, how to find your way around the most common scales, and how to keep track of your place and sing in rhythm in the most frequently-used meters.
These days and times are subject to change, based on the best availability of the students enrolled in the class. If you sign up and the class meets at a time you are unable to attend, you will receive a full refund or credit toward a future class. Instruction takes place over the course of four classes, held over Zoom:
- Class 1: January 4th, 2022, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Class 2: January 11th, 2022, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Class 3: January 18th, 2022, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Class 4: January 25th, 2022, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Designed for singers (and other instrumentalists) who can match pitch with their voice, and keep a basic pulse. The ability to sometimes find harmonies to sing on a given melody is not required—we will cover this material in class. You do not need to be able to read printed sheet music.
$195.00 for 6 hours of online instruction.